Physical exercise is incredibly important. But mental stimulation is arguably just as important, if not more so. It is thought that 1 hour of physical exercise is equivalent to 10 minutes of mental training. It is a great way to tire out your furry friend, as well as leaving them feeling fulfilled and happy.
There are plenty of ways to mentally challenge your pooch, from a sniffy walk in a new park to some of the more fancy toys explicitly designed for brain games.
Busy? Get Your
Hands Paws On The Answers Quickly…
- Benefits Of Canine Enrichment Games
- How To Make A Bottle Spinning Game For Dogs
- Quick Video On A Bottle Spinning Game For Dogs
- Printable PDF Guide
Benefits Of Canine Enrichment Games:
- Tires your dog out – A tired dog tends to be easier to train and better behaved
- Increase brain capacity – Playing games keeps your dogs brain sharp
- Rewarding for your dog – Being rewarded with treats or toys is great for dogs, it keeps them happy and mentally healthy
- Lowers stress and anxiety – Increasing physical and mental exercise is excellent for decreasing mental stress for your dog
- Increases the bond between you and your dog – Introducing new and fun games is exciting for your dog, by helping and playing these games, you will improve and build your relationship
We love finding games our dogs enjoy, and they’re perfect when you can only do a short walk or as an additional enrichment activity.
This is one of our new favorites, the spinning bottle.
It was also a very cheap one to create, we picked up the tension rod for under $5. But you could also use a piece of string, or end of a broom (although you would have to hold the broom up).
It took our dogs a few attempts to understand the concept and a little bit of help, but now they love it.
Our retriever particularly likes playing without treats! I think he finds it less frustrating not to be so focused on the treats and allows himself to enjoy just spinning the bottle around.
It is also great to slow your dog down. Our rescues eat far quicker, so it’s a great way to help slow them down at dinner time.
So whether your dog is food motivated or not, give it a try! Make sure to send us a message and your pictures if you do.
HOW TO MAKE A BOTTLE SPINNING GAME FOR DOGS
- An empty plastic bottle
- A tension rod (a wooden stick or string may also work)
- Treats or kibble
|1. Remove the cap and label from the bottle.|
|2. Cut two holes in the middle on either side of the bottle. Make sure the holes are big enough to for the rod to fit through.|
|3. Push the tension rod through the holes.|
|4. Secure the tension rod between a doorway.|
|5. Fill with treats or kibble.|
|6. Let your dog spin the bottle to retrieve the treats!|
QUICK VIDEO ON A BOTTLE SPINNING GAME FOR DOGS
Disclaimer: Always supervise your dog when using enrichment toys.
PRINTABLE PDF GUIDE
Not ready to spin yet? Looking to share the instructions with friends?
Looking for more pawsome posts? Check these out…
7 Easy, Cheap, and Homemade Enrichment Games and Activities For Dogs
KONG Recipes: 3 Easy-To-Make KONG Recipes For Your Dog
How To Exercise Your Dog During Isolation
Why Is My Dog Constantly Hungry?
Can Dogs Eat Watermelon?
Disclaimer: Each dog is different, and every circumstance is different. All efforts have been made to provide accurate information. However, it is not provided by a qualified Veterinarian, Veterinarian Surgeon, or Behaviorist. The information provided is purely educational. The information should not be used as an alternative or substitute for medical care. If you have any health or medical concerns, contact a qualified Veterinary Surgeon or Veterinarian immediately.